John Penton, founder of the eponymous American offroad brand, played a vital role in the history of KTM. In consequence of his initiative, KTM began with the series production of competitive offroad motorcycles.
Giacomo Agostini, Mike Hailwood, Geoff Duke and Angel Nieto – today, the world champions of the 1950s and 1960s are motorsport legends. One of their successors is the Australian Casey Stoner, who won the first road racing GP for KTM this weekend ten years ago.
In 1984, KTM had already established itself as a successful offroad manufacturer. At the beginnig of the 1980s, KTM started its production of radiators. First intended to cover own requirements, the Austrian brand quickly began to supply other European motorcycle and automotive manufacturers.
30 years ago, almost to the day, Heinz Kinigadner became 250cc Motocross World Champion with KTM. Even today the Tyrolese, who is involved in social initiatives, is one of the most popular Austrian sportsman. Reason enough to recall Kini´s exciting season.
In 1974, KTM won its first Motocross World Championship, but even in terms of products there were record-breaking news from Mattighofen: various novelties, among them the KTM moped Hobby III, a long runner.
In 1974, Gennady Moissev secures the first world championship for KTM. However, the first title in the 250 MX world championship was just the beginning of a long success story that is still continued today.
Citius, altius, fortius – this motto equally applies for Olympia and motorsport. In Europe the Erzberg race meets all requirements of the term “higher” – for 20 years now!
In 1964, at the 39th International Six Days Enduro KTM re-entered and competed with three factory riders, having withdrawn from the competition at the end of the 50s. It was the start of a success story in Enduro racing which is to the present day nonpareil.
60 years ago, KTM celebrated the first of numerous production records – a review at the year 1954.
After 80 years of orange company history, we take a closer look at the beginnings in 1934.