When the young KTM MotoGP team racked up the first world championship points in Termas de Río Hondo (Argentina) at the beginning of April, road racing at KTM already had a tradition spanning several decades. Sixty years ago, the star of Erwin Lechner first began to shine. The young rider achieved success after success in both road and offroad racing. At the same time, KTM designer Ludwig Apfelbeck conceived both the 4-valve racing engine and a small 2-stroker for the moped “Mecky”.
Tag: Hans Trunkenpolz
Spectacular racing success and popular production machines: there is often a whole team of engineers behind successful designs, but things were different right up to the 1970s. Just as the name Kiska now represents the distinctive design of KTM models, many motorcycles were previously closely associated with their designer’s name. Precisely six decades ago, Hans Trunkenpolz, the head of KTM, succeeded in bringing the famous designer Ludwig Apfelbeck to Mattighofen.
1955 – that’s sixty years ago now. Everything was well in the motorcycle world, the Second World War had ended ten years previously and the economy was picking up again. KTM founder Hans Trunkenpolz was early to see the signs of the times and presented his first motorcycle to the public in 1953.
In 1964, at the 39th International Six Days Enduro KTM re-entered and competed with three factory riders, having withdrawn from the competition at the end of the 50s. It was the start of a success story in Enduro racing which is to the present day nonpareil.